Long Term Care Insurance Policy Brochures for Maryland
Long Term Care Insurance Maryland
Long-term care issues can be complex and confusing. With so many options, services, and settings in which care is given, many people delay learning about the issues until they are personally affected. Unfortunately, that is likely to be the time when you are under the most pressure to make a decision, and when time is too short to carefully weigh your options.
Because these long-term care issues deserve your careful attention, don’t wait until it’s too late to find out all you can about this important health care alternative. Don’t wait any longer to find out important information!
What is Long-Term Care?
Long-term care is the day-in, day-out assistance you might need if an illness or disability lasts a long time and leaves you unable to care for yourself. This may or may not include a nursing home stay. In other words, it is a continuum of services that can be provided in a variety of settings ranging from one’s own home, assisted living facility, adult day care facility or a nursing home. Long-term care covers a broad spectrum of care and services ranging from basic personal care to medical care.
Long Term Care Insurance Maryland Shopping Tips
- Shop around for an insurance agent and an insurance company–ask friends, family or neighbors if they recommend their insurance agent or company.
- Ask insurance agents which insurance company’s products they sell; most agents only sell products from a few companies. Compare several different products from several different insurance companies. You might need to talk with several different agents.
- Carefully compare the benefits and restrictions between policies.
- Most LTC insurance premiums increase over time. Carefully evaluate whether premium payments over a long period could be a financial hardship.
- Never pay insurance premiums in cash; do not make checks payable to the insurance agent.
- Read your policy carefully and ask follow up questions.
- Use your 30-day “Free Look” period to return a policy for a full refund if you are not satisfied!
- Understand what a Long Term Care Partnership (LTCPP) policy is, how it differs from non-LTCPP policies, and whether it is affordable for you.
The Long Term Care Insurance Maryland Partnership Program is an innovative partnership between Maryland and private insurance companies who issue long-term care insurance policies. A policy sold under the Long-Term Care Insurance Partnership Program, by law, must meet the same standards as a long-term care policy not sold under the program. In addition, a partnership policy must meet certain specific federal and state requirements, and be certified as a “long-term care partnership policy” by the Commissioner of the MIA. Partnership policies provide an additional level of protection when compared to a regular long-term care insurance policy. In particular, such policies permit individuals to protect additional assets from spend-down requirements under Maryland’s Medicaid program if assistance under this program is ever needed and you qualify.
This consumer guide contains information about long-term care options and long-term care insurance buying tips.
The State of Maryland recommends:
Searching for Rate Increase information in Maryland? We have the answers you need.